Thursday, March 8, 2012

Words that don't exist...

Hello World...

This semester one of my two classes is Business Writing and we speak often about proper grammar as well as sentence structure used in the business world.  Being raised by a grandmother that was very strict on proper grammar, my ears already hear it and, depending on who I'm having a conversation with, I will make a correction.  I was listening recently to some old school hip hop music from one of the artists that recently left us, Heavy D, his song "Girls they love me" and one of his lines made me cringe and I couldn't believe that we were bobbing our heads back in the day but hey we didn't know any better, right?  The line is "...sit back relax and conversate a bit...".  *sigh* Ok, I know it's sound cool but "conversate" is NOT a word.  The proper word is "converse or conversing" but I can see why Heav may have decided to add "ate" simply because it flowed better.  HOWEVER, I recently heard a Beyonce song (don't recall the title) and I heard her use it which saddened me because she is continuing with the promotion of grammar ignorance and unlike the played out cliche, ignorance is NOT bliss.  I hear the word thrown about during conversations when the air of "educated" is attempting to be presented.  To be honest, as a single lady when having a conversation with a possible suitor the main thing I look for is the ability to have one and then the words that are being used.  I'm not looking for someone to impress me with 150 point words in scrabble but someone that knows basic grammar rules and is comfortable in his skin.  So if you don't know whether you should say conversate or converse or you didn't even know "converse" existed just say "talk to" because that's what converse, conversing, conversation means.  Because when you make something up, I've just made up my mind to not call you or give you my number.

One more word I need to sneak in here is "irregardless".  People, people, people this is NOT a word!  The word "regardless" means to regard less or without regard; it's already a negative word so the prefix "ir" also adds a negative meaning.  So "irregardless" is without without regard.  Again, just stick with what you know. "regardless" is ALL you need to say. It's ALL good!!!

World...I just want everyone to know better, be educated on what is right and wrong.  My grandmother educated herself because back in her day a black woman wasn't supposed to go to school.  So she had to stop at the 3rd grade.  But she read her bible and newspapers and everything else she could.  She got her real estate license and also became a mid-wife.  Via DNA, I received her love for reading and her love for learning and for just doing and knowing better AND helping others.  I don't have the attitude of "i know this and you don't and i'm going to keep it that way" my attitude is "guess what i found out?" and then I'm sharing.

One website I want to suggest for daily grammar lessons and stories is http://www.businesswritingblog.com/.  You can sign up to receive daily information.   The blog touches on legal grammar versus public grammar and you can read comments from other readers of the blogs to see points of views being talked about on why something should be said or not said a certain way.  There is a blog up now that is a lesson on using jargon during a presentation/knowing your audience. Just a suggestion.

Ok world...I love ya'll from the bottom of my heart.  There are so many things out there that break my heart and are sad about the way people treat and react to others based on appearance.  Hey I was born with brown skin and kinky/curly hair but I shouldn't have to run down my educational background for you to not make assumptions about me.  Just like you don't act the others in the world that look similar to you, the same applies to me..

~Aries Rule~
*peace and blessings*

No comments:

Post a Comment