Sunday, March 11, 2012

I Know a Place..

Hello World...

If you're old school like me, the title will make you start snapping ya fingaz and singing "ain't nobody cryin'".  If you don't get it, sorry you were born around the wrong people. LOL! (music is life!)

The definition of a Bar Mitzvah (Hebrew: בר מצוה‎) and Bat Mitzvah (Hebrew: בת מצוה‎) are Jewish coming of age rituals. According to Jewish law, when Jewish boys reach 13, they become responsible for their actions and become a Bar Mitzvah (plural: B'nai Mitzvah). The age for girls is 12. In addition to being considered responsible for their actions from a religious perspective, B'nai mitzvah may be counted towards a minyan (prayer quorum) and may lead prayer and other religious services in the family and the community. The age of B'nai Mitzvah was selected because it roughly coincides with physical puberty.[1] Prior to a child reaching Bar or Bat Mitzvah, the child's parents hold the responsibility for the child's actions.

I just witnessed the passage of two young boys crossing into manhood!  Similar to the jewish tradition of Bar/Bat Mitzvah but different in the specifics of age and in the name.  The age they are being recognized is "14" and this event has been coined "Black"Mitzvah based on I Corinthians 13:11 and this was the first of hopefully many events.  You see this event was researched and created by a mother that has raised children in an area and with a generation that has been doomed to failure.  Clayton County and young black boys and girls of the 2000s (respectively).  She took her faith and beliefs in God and in Him making a way out of no way and is raising her kids and her entire community to believe in the positivity of it all.  Young Joseph Foster is a lucky young man.



One cliche that rings true is "birds of a feather flock together" and Mrs Foster became friends with another mom that is determined to raise all 4 of her young men to be assets to society by example and by surrounding them with the right village people.  My friend Lin Marie Perkins is a wonder.  I met her through a mutual friend and she is part of a positive group of folks that express themselves via song and poetry.  I've met soooooo many other folks even through her that will be (at some point) a HUGE help in my career change. (Amazing! God is something else) I digress.  One of the two young men that crossed over tonight is her youngest son, Alex Perkins.  Sir Alex is what I call him..birthday a day after mine (Go young ram!), Sir because of an outing my homette Lin, Alex and I did to the Georgia Renaissance Festival one year. (Great times!) 

My title for this blog is in reference to the question that is normally asked in some way, shape, form or fashion in reference to where our good kids have gone and my answer is I know a place...it's the House of God.  It's the Village of those that can be trusted to raise your kids when you can't be there.  It's the Christ Gang that gives kids an alternative to what the world has to offer as an example of what a God fearing individual should look like and act like.  I can truly say, with ALL honesty when I first received the invitation I saw the title of the event and thought "what type of throwed (yes throwed) together ish is this going to be?" but I went because I KNOW Lin and i know how serious she is about life for herself AND her family so this must be legit!  After hearing the speaker Rev Phillip Mitchell speak to the young men in the room as well as the two youngsters being inducted, I felt a renewal in my spirit for the generation that will be leading the world in a few years.  I will definitely renew my prayer life to pray for our children.  As an aunt, I feel the need to protect and Lord help me and the unborn kid if i EVER have one of my own.  I left that place knowing that there is indeed a place and a chance for other places to be "born" into existence to help save the babies.  *Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow!*

As I end this blog, I share this video of my homette Lin singing a Mother's tribute to her son Alex Perkins...Regina Belle's "If I Could".

Congrats to young Joseph Foster and young Alex Perkins...you are now young men!

No comments:

Post a Comment