Thursday, February 16, 2012

Go-Go Gadget Fro!

 Good merning, good merning, good merning...govern yourselves accordingly! (in the words/voice of Sis Bernice Jenkins)
(if you're not familiar, you need to check out ricky smiley on youtube)

So I grew up in the 70s during a time when having long straight, thick hair was the thing to have on your head and in that same spirit every Saturday night, my granny would wash my, then, thick hair and press it.  Now if anybody got their hair pressed, you heard the sizzle in your mind and you flinched as soon as I said that..i know you did.  I have a permanent mark on my right ear where my granny was trying to "get my edges".  So at the age of 6, my mom decided to put a "Kiddie Kit" on my hair.  That name rang a bell didn't it? I know it did.  My granny was pissed! She immediately washed my hair with egg to strip the relaxer.  yes that actually works, it's the raw protein of the egg, it stripped that relaxer right out and she went back to pressing it. LOL!!  So anyway eventually i ended up with a relaxer and that started the hair breakage.  I have this one spot that's normally called a "stress spot" in the middle in the back of my head that grows to a certain length and breaks no matter what the rest of my hair is doing. 

I found out by watching my older relatives that at a certain age, our DNA structure activates this thinning thing that happens in the front and the top of our heads. Our=females.  I made my decision to go natural back in 1997(ish) and had the last piece of relaxed strand clipped out of my head in 2000 and have been natural ever since.  I have and still will wear braids, either hidden braids which is a braid style that uses hair extenions and the extensions and the natural hair is braided in a corn row style leaving the natural hair totally braided and available for conditioning and only the extension or weave hair is styled.  This style was created by Alice Burnom of Houston Texas-Certified Cosmetology Instructor at San Jacinto College/Master Stylist/Owner of Ebony Persuasions- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons/view/3672/ebony-persuasion-houston-texas-united-states and also I've worn the Tree Braids which are similar to Hidden Braids.  I discovered the Tree Braids when I moved to Atlanta in 2004. 

So my hair is o-kay right now.  I wear my fro, i've figured out how to do my own two-strand twists and coils.  I have had a professional consultation and for the most part I know what products to use to make my combo 4b/4c kinky hair look its best. (shout out to Miss Jessies's Baby Buttercreme, Jane Carter's Daily spray leave-in conditioner and Design Essentials's Daily Lotion and Creme Gel).  But here is where my hair and I differ, I love color (i'm red right now) and my hair follicles do not like it. *sigh* so, it will grow and then break and then grow.

All of this to say that after hearing constant commercials for Ovations Hair Treatment and after speaking with someone that actually uses it and seeing her beautiful hair, I have finally ordered the treatment system.  It's on the way and you can check out the information http://www.ovationshair.com/ and read the specifics but I'm hopeful that this will give me the extra oomph that I need in my head to encourage my strands to move beyond the length they are used to growing.  So going forward from this day, along with all of the other topics that pop in my head, I am going to take you on my fro growing journey.  Hence my title "Go-Go Gadget Fro".  For my 70s babies we had a cartoon called "Inspector Gadget" and that was his code word for either his mechanical arms or legs or his other mechanical devices to activate. 

So Ovations Hair Treatment...let's see what we can do.

*Peace and Blessings*

No comments:

Post a Comment